Message Boards Terms of Service and Netiquette
Before posting on TheSabre.com message board, you agree not to post...
- Personal attacks or insults on ANYONE (including athletes, recruits, coaches or administrators, other users of the boards, beat writers, the TheSabre.com staff, et al).
- Speculation or rumors regarding a player's or recruit's academic situation or personal life (if it's not in the news, then don't post it here). We don't care what you saw "Player X" doing on Saturday night. It doesn't belong here.
- Posts with the intention of eliciting negative responses (flaming).
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation without the permission of the TheSabre.com staff. (Use the Ticket Board for buying and selling tickets). Posts linking to competing pay content sites MUST include a summary of that content.
- Material that defames (slander), abuses or threatens others.
- Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images (this includes the use of replacement symbols like "a$$")
- Posts containing negative comments about TheSabre.com site sponsors.
- Statements that are bigoted, hateful or racially offensive.
- Material that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- Unauthorized copyrighted material.
- Posts which are deemed inappropriate by the staff at TheSabre.com
Any user posting on the TheSabre.com message boards is implicitly agreeing to these rules, regardless of whether they have been read or not.
Messages posted on these boards are not necessarily the views or opinions of TheSabre.com.
NOTICE: You are NOT anonymous on our message boards! We allow you to post under a username, but your IP address will be logged and you are accountable for what you post. We can easily find out who you are. Severe violations of our terms of service may result in legal action being taken against you.
"Netiquette" - Helpful Tips for Posters and Readers
- These are privately owned message boards - You do not have "freedom of speech" here. We expect you to behave as if you are a guest in a friend's home, and imagine that you are speaking face-to-face with those with whom you interact. Our boards are read by TheSabre.com administrators, coaches, coaches' families, players and players' families, as well as recruits and their families. Please mind your Ps and Qs.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the various message boards on the site so you will know what posts belong where.
- If you are a first-time poster, don't jump in with both feet and make a dozens of posts on your first day. You will only annoy people and make the old-timers suspicious. Also, don't launch immediately into negative or hypercritical posts. Let people get to know you a little first.
- New to the Internet? Many first time Internet users make the mistake of posting in ALL UPPERCASE CHARACTERS when they start posting or interacting with other users. Please understand that, on the Internet, USING ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING and deemed by the Internet community as very rude. If you post in ALL CAPS, 'expect' to be slammed by your peers. If you're just plain lazy, don't use any capital letters at all. Many in the Internet business type in all lowercase.
- Don't believe everything (anything?) you read. These are only message boards, and are not at all part of the journalistic content on the rest of the website. It doesn't take long to figure out who knows what they're talking about on these boards and who does not. By default, you should assume unsubstantiated posts are untrue and work from there.
- Criticize respectfully, but do NOT attack people. "Coach Doe sucks!" or "Miller needs to transfer to U. of Richmond!" are not acceptable posts. Calm, well-reasoned criticism is encouraged.
- Have a thick skin and don't take things too seriously. PLEASE do not respond to posters who flame the board or flame you personally. This only makes the situation worse, and may cause you to lose your account. We're not sure who makes more unnecessary work for us, the original flamer or the 50 people who feel they have to "set him straight" by lowering themselves to his level. If you choose to wrestle with a pig, he will get you both dirty and only he will enjoy it! If someone is out of line, please email us and let us take care of it.
- Do a quick check of the board before posting to see if the question you are about to ask or the article you just read and were about to post has already been posted. Far too many folks don't read past the first 5 lines of the board before posting. In a nutshell, that is rather selfish behavior to force ALL of us to read the same stuff over and over.
- Familiarize yourself with the rest of TheSabre.com. There is a LOT of easily accessible information here, so please don't be lazy and waste space by asking questions when the answers are one or two clicks away.
- Do NOT use HTML in the subject line of your post. TheSabre.com alone reserves the right to do this for important announcements
- Keep your posts on-topic and on the proper board. The Football Board is not the place to discuss lacrosse, politics, video games or religion. We have a board for general discussion as well as boards for any other sport you want to discuss.
- If you can make your entire post fit in the subject line, then do so! This saves people an unnecessary couple of clicks.
- Do not make posts such as "hey, so-and-so, check your email!" or similar posts. This is not your personal message board, and making such posts only causes posts of interest and value to the rest of the community to roll off the board.
- The vast majority of people who visit the TheSabre.com boards are interested in information and discussion on UVA sports. Please understand that most people don't give a darn about the Heels, the Hokies or other topics that come up far too frequently. Please limit your posts on these topics!
Questions or Comments? Email us at .